Wednesday, November 21, 2012

School Festival Day

Today we had a festival at school for the students and their parents. I'd known about it, or at least the idea of it, since last week, but of course the details were fuzzy until the day-of.

All week I've been asking questions. "What will happen?" "What time will it start?" "Until when?" "Do we have class?" My coworkers were frustratingly vague, as is their usual way. Somehow, even after close to 2 years here I never believe them when they say they don't know. Surely they must know something. It makes sense that I don't know what's going on, but don't they get the schedule emailed to them? Don't they want to know?? Even this morning when I asked Ms An if we would have class today, she just deadpanned, "Maybe."

"...So should I prepare the whiteboard?" I wondered.

"No."

Hahahaha. I frantically got my materials together just in case, but in the end she was right.

This morning each class performed dances and songs for their parents. The classrooms were all decorated in balloons and banners and the desks were shoved out into the hall leaving the chairs for audience seating. A few songs were performed as a group but afterwards each classroom held its own talent show to display individual students' special skills. Some of the students did a magic show or played an instrument. Others sang, danced or put on mini plays. Meanwhile, the parents sat in the back taking pictures and shouting words of encouragement. 

After I got my work done in the morning, I walked around peeking into the different classes. It felt like some massive carnival variety show: in this room girls were singing, in this one, a taekwondo performance with students breaking boards, in the next class an elaborate card trick was underway with enthusiastic audience participation. The hallway became the "backstage" area as students ran around changing into costumes and getting their props ready.

I snapped some pictures.

Fifth graders getting ready in the hall.

Sixth grade performance.
Sixth grade rendition of "Gangnam Style." 


Traditional drummers.
Ribbon dancers
Fourth graders: Yu-jun, Ga-eun, Da-yeong, and I can't remember the name of the one in back! 


Later after the shows, we all headed outside to watch a performance by a professional dance troupe. There was traditional drum music and dancers in brightly colored costumes. It was chilly but the sun was out and it was nice to get some fresh air.

The ribbon dancers are always my favorite, though it makes my neck hurt to watch them. Their special headdress has a long ribbon attached to a spinner and when they turn or move their head the ribbon swings around in a big circle. It's hands-free ribbon dancing!

The dancers jump around, drumming, and all the while their head never stops circling, like a never-ending neck warm up. Wow!

All in all the day was great, weather was perfect and I was happy for the mid-week break!

Here's a video of the fifth graders song:



And here's a tiny clip of the swinging-ribbon-head drummers. I ran out of space on my memory card after that!



2 comments:

  1. I'll have to look up some ribbon dancing videos. This looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a ribbon hat. They're fantastic.

    ReplyDelete