Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Friendly Faces

I ride the bus to school every day with a woman from school, Mrs. Jung. She works in the administration office, and lives in a massive 30-story apartment complex near my building. Apparently, she was the one who recommended my apartment to the school board when they were thinking of changing it from last years. Im grateful every day that she did, because its a brand-new little studio in an excellent location. Not to mention that the previous English teacher said the old apartment was a bit of a dive.

From the beginning, Mrs. Jung has been especially friendly to me. Koreans are quite reserved in general, but I must have a free pass for being foreign, or else I stumbled on an exception to the rule! I lost my bus card last week and she paid for me even when I showed her I had the cash. This week she took me out for dinner after work and made me take home the leftovers. I asked her where the post-office was one day on my way home from school and she walked with me to find it even though it was far out of her way. We ride the bus to school, but generally carpool home with the vice-principal and a few other teachers. Yesterday she treated the 5 of us to a delicious dinner of 쌈밥 [ssam-bap], a dish of rice and marinated meat wrapped in greens.
Vice-Principal (back left) and Mrs Jung (front right). That's my backpack on the floor!
And she isnt the only one whos been helpful. The entire school staff, it seems, is overjoyed to see me everyday. They smile so wide their eyes disappear and bow as we cross paths. Some of them greet me in Korean and bow, while others will hazard a Hello. I try to mimic whoever approaches me but sometimes get confused and end up doing everything at once. Hello-annyeonghaseo-hi! Bow-wave-bow-smile. The students, likewise, bow mid-run or just shout Hello teacher!!! as they thunder past. When I was first introduced to the students the principal used my full name and now murmurs of Al-EE-ss Oh-lee-buh! travel across the playground when I arrive and really anywhere I go. Practically a celebrity!

A Korean English teacher working with a private company to put on afterschool programs, stopped me in the hall one day and gave me an iced-coffee! Did I mention my vice-principal gives me a ride home daily? Two of my 6th grade students gave me a CD full of Korean pop music! And chocolate!

Ive never felt more accepted in a new place, and Im so thankful for the teacher who made a good impression before me, and for all the staff here who have been so warm and welcoming! I lucked out again!



1 comment:

  1. You're indeed lucky. You make me feel lucky, too. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete