Friday, January 9, 2009

Pas de Problème

We were told before arriving that the Senegalese are known for Teranga (hospitality). It’s been a few days since I moved in with my host-family and I’m not going to disagree.

The first night, I slept in the “girls’ room.” There are bunkbeds and a third bed on the opposite wall. I spent the night there with Khady, my host-sister (28) and Fatimata, my other sister (19). My host-mom, Fatou showed me the bathroom I was to use that was in the “boys’ room” shared by my brothers, Amadou (20) and Thierno (16), and a cousin Marodou (21-22ish?). “There is an ‘English Chair’ in this bathroom,” she explained. She pointed to a toilet. The boys use the hole in the ground.

Yesterday I moved into my actual room. They had been painting it a comforting Michigan State Dormitory eggnog color when I arrived. I share this room with Khady, and we have our own bathroom (ie, toilet with a shower a foot away and a drain). It seems like my host-mom has read the entire manual on hosting foreign students. When she was explaining my bedroom arrangements she gave me a look and said, “They told me you needed to have your own bed, but so you won’t be alone, Khady will be there with you.” Every meal so far she has described at length all the ways I’m to avoid Diarrhea while I’m here. “Alice can’t eat raw vegetables yet, or she’ll be running to the bathroom every 5 minutes.” “Alice shouldn’t eat couscous two nights in a row- it’s too hard to digest and she’ll spend all day in the shower.” The kids just laugh and try to get me to taste whatever it is she wants me to avoid. I had a vegetable salad and a fruit salad a day ago because I missed raw food so much. But I got to eat cucumbers last night for diner so it’s all good. I should count my blessings that someone cares so much about my digestive system.



There’s a goat on the roof- I can hear him bleating. Oh, I mean sheep. It’s a sheep. He looks much more like a goat to me, but they insist it’s a sheep. How do you tell the difference, anyway? Fatou says that most Senegalese families have a white sheep in the house or on the premises to chase away bad spirits. Khady always tells me he’s her sheep, and I asked her yesterday what his name was and she said he didn’t have one, but after much thought, decided maybe she’d name him Hope. I asked if they were going to eat him, and she said yes, probably soon. “You’d better pick a different name,” I said.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, your family sounds like lots of fun, Alice. I'm glad they're so nice and you seem to be enjoying yourself. Khady seems like she's lots of fun--and it's so sweet that her mom has her sleeping in the same room as you so you don't get lonely.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheep say "Bah" and goats say "Mah"

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'You'd better pick a different name,' I said" Hahahahaha!

    I somehow forgot that everyone is not as bad about posting as I am. I figured i'd give you another 2 months or so and then check to see if you'd posted anything yet but I was on your facebook page already and decided, "what the heck? I'll give clicking that little hyperlink a whirl!" And now I'm having lots of fun reading all of your posts. Great updates, Aliiiice! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete