Sunday, December 28, 2008

Preparations for preparations in the works, or something


I leave for Africa in 4 days. 

Maybe I should start thinking about packing? Okay, no, in all seriousness I have already started ... thinking about it. Clothes have been considered, lists have been made in my head or downloaded from packing sites. There's a site that I used last summer for my visit to my French family called onebag.com that's got great tips on packing light. However I have a sneaking suspicion that this upcoming trip might be a little different from a 3-week vacation in France. 

So I'm freaking out. I mean, my attitude about the whole adventure toes the line somewhere between excitement and full-on panic. Today I spent a three hours reading other blogs by students who've previously studied abroad in Dakar, and now I think that might have been a bad idea. But honestly I couldn't help myself; my inner-Planner wanted to be prepared so I went into research-mode and couldn't stop. 

I know this is going to be a fantastic experience and I'm just going to leave it at that. So far, thinking about all the unknowns has been awfully unproductive- not to mention, it gives me a headache. 

Anyway, this blog is a way for me to keep in touch with all of you out there who are freaking out too [Mom ;-) ] or just plain curious. I'm not sure how often I will be updating, as I have no idea what the internet-access options will be like. But I will do my best! Anyone can comment, so feel free (later on when it gets more interesting)! I hope to be posting pictures as well when I get a chance! 

Thanks for stopping!


3 comments:

  1. You're going to have so much fun, sweetie~! Just be safe and have fun, and don't do anything that I probably would! I can't wait to see pictures; you had best believe I'll be stalking this blog!

    XoXoXo,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only worrying a little bit, but it's my job. Have fun, baby!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever. I think I told Sara I had looked up the Wolof language on a website to see the spelling and hear how it sounded. Makes my head ache concentrating. How do babies do it?
    Have been enjoying all of the blogs. Jim has been getting a big chuckle out of them too. Give your family a big group grope for me.

    muchas smoochas
    Mary

    ReplyDelete